Other Futures - Otros futuros

Other Futures

During a trip to Gujarat, India, where I sponsor a young boy, I was invited to attend his coming-of-age ceremony. I travelled alone. Although my wife had offered to accompany me, I persuaded her not to. I thought the journey would be long, exhausting, and far too uncomfortable for her. It was a decision I would soon come to regret.

When I arrived at Indira Gandhi International Airport, a man was waiting for me holding a sign bearing my name. His taxi wound its way through the bustling streets of New Delhi before leaving the city behind and entering a dimly lit neighbourhood on its outskirts. I found it surprising that anyone would hire a taxi to take me to my sponsored child's home, especially considering the poverty in which his family lived.

Everything around me carried an unsettling air. His father came out to greet me and welcomed me warmly into a house that contained little more than a few pieces of worn furniture. Waiting inside, however, was a Sikh dressed in magnificent ceremonial robes.

He rose to his feet and bowed respectfully.

The gesture immediately put me on guard.

After returning his greeting, I was welcomed in the name of the Congregation of the Enlightened.

The following day I accompanied the family to the ceremony. Throughout the celebration I could not shake the feeling that someone was watching me.

Then I was introduced to the guru as one of the Twelve Enlightened Ones on Earth.

I was convinced there had been some mistake.

Yet, according to the Sikh who had received me the previous evening, I possessed extraordinary abilities that the guru would soon awaken.

Once the ceremony had ended, the guru approached me with great courtesy and invited me to follow him.

Without a word, I did.

He led me into a chamber illuminated only by the flickering light of two torches.

For the first time since arriving in India, I found myself longing for my wife.

The guru turned towards me.

"You are not here by chance," he said quietly.

"The fact that you chose to sponsor this child was part of a plan conceived thousands of years ago—a plan of which you have never been aware."

He then revealed the gifts that had been bestowed upon me.

Among the Enlightened, he explained, there exist higher states of consciousness that allow communication not only with matter itself, but also with animals... and even with plants.

Moments later, I began to hear a faint crackling sound.

Gradually, the crackling became words.

The cut flowers resting on a stone shelf were dying.

Through their soft crackles, they were pleading with me to save them.

I was still struggling to comprehend what I had witnessed when the guru spoke again, this time in a low, almost sorrowful voice.

"You will never be able to return home."

Then, from somewhere impossibly far away, I heard my wife's voice.

She was calling my name.

Begging me...

to come back.






Otros futuros

En un viaje a la lndia, concretamente a la región de Gujarat donde apadrino un niño, fui invitado a la ceremonia de su iniciación a la edad adulta. Viajaba solo. Aunque mi mujer se ofreció a acompañarme, la disuadí porque me pareció que podía ser un viaje cansado y lleno de incomodidades para ella. Después me arrepentiría de aquella decisión. 

Cuando llegué al aeropuerto Indira Gandhi me esperaba alguien portando un cartel con mi nombre. El taxista condujo por las calles de Nueva Delhi hasta llegar a un barrio en las afueras pobremente iluminado. Me extrañó que alguien contratara un taxi para llevarme al domicilio de mi apadrinado, sobre todo por la precariedad de la situación en la que vivía su familia.

Todo lo cuanto me rodeaba tenía algo inquietante. Salió a recibirme su padre y nos saludamos. Me invitó a entrar en su casa en la que apenas había muebles ni dónde sentarse. Allí esperaba un sij vestido con sus mejores galas. 

Se levantó y me hizo una reverencia. 

Aquella actitud me puso en guardia. 

Lo saludé y me dio la bienvenida en nombre de la Congregación de los Iluminados.

Al día siguiente, acompañé a la familia al lugar de la ceremonia. Durante la celebración tenía la sensación de que era observado por alguien. 

Allí fui presentado a un gurú como uno de los doce iluminados de la Tierra. 

Yo no podía creer lo que estaba pasando. 

Al parecer, y según el sij que me recibió en la casa de mi apadrinado, tenía unas capacidades especiales que el gurú se encargaría de sacar a la luz.

Una vez concluida la ceremonia, el gurú se acercó respetuosamente y me pidió que le siguiera. Así lo hice y entramos en una sala iluminada por dos antorchas. En ese momento empecé a echar de menos a mi esposa.

El gurú se dirigió a mí y me explicó que no estaba allí por casualidad. Que hubiera elegido a mi apadrinado obedecía a un plan concebido miles de años atrás y del que yo nunca fui consciente. Me confesó los poderes que se me habían otorgado. 

Me enseñó que en los iluminados existen varios estados mentales en los que es posible, entre otras cosas, comunicarse con la materia, con los seres del reino animal y con los del reino vegetal. 

Un instante después comencé a percibir unos sonidos crepitantes que se iban transformando en palabras. 

Las flores cortadas, colocadas en el vasar, se estaban muriendo y, a través de sus crepitaciones, me pedían ayuda.

No salía de mi  asombro cuando el gurú con voz apagada me dijo que nunca podría volver a casa. 

La voz de mi esposa sonaba distante y desesperada, rogándome...

que volviera.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jasmines - Jazmines

Sparks of Light - Chispitas de luz