Of Good and Bad Human Beings (I) - De buenos y malos (I)
And darkness claimed the light.
Lucifer sat at the entrance to the cave, anxiously awaiting the arrival of the murderers. He had never wanted to play that role, nor did he know how he had gradually become the very character he portrayed. Yet there he was, faithfully carrying out the Boss's orders. There had been moments of clarity when he had considered resigning, but jobs were hard to come by.
Absorbed in his thoughts, he failed to notice the arrival of the condemned. They, for their part, made little noise. There were thousands of them, casualties of the endless wars raging across the world.
Lucifer was convinced of the importance of his mission. He muttered to himself,
"If I didn't exist, who would receive them? Who would lock them away? Who would cast them into the fire so they could never harm anyone again?"
The condemned shuffled past him in chains, their heads bowed. At random, he beckoned one of them.
"What is your name?"
"People call me Take-and-Keep. I've never known whether I once had another name. They call me that because I take what belongs to others and keep it for myself. I've taken many lives as well. I wore my victims' clothes and kept everything they carried.
I suppose I was born to be this way. I remember that, even as a child, I never felt anything for anyone. People were just objects to me. Whenever I wanted something, I simply took it.
I've heard people talk about feelings, but I've never understood what they are. I know they exist, yet they have never meant anything to me. Sometimes I've wondered whether I was made differently from everyone else, because I've never experienced what people call feelings."

Comments
Post a Comment
minutorelatos.blogspot.com