Living with Angie - Vivir con Angie
Some years ago, in the early 2190s, I bought a nearly human companion. I am a widower, and I thought the human qualities of this new generation of humanoids might fill my lonely days.
I had always been interested in this kind of companion, so I tried to learn more about the origins of the industry and the processes behind their creation. They began as part of the robotics industry in the twenty-first century. Artificial intelligence and deep learning were incorporated during the second half of that century, followed by advances in nanomaterials, quantum computing, and increasingly sophisticated software. By 2180, artificial skin and the capacity to experience something resembling emotion had become the final breakthroughs needed to produce an almost human companion.
When I went to buy Angie, an engineer showed me several models. I wanted a humanoid who resembled my late wife. To make that possible, I had to undergo a series of tests conducted by both a psychologist and a programmer. I was also required to complete a confidential questionnaire covering every aspect of my life, personality, and emotional state, as well as provide detailed information about my wife.
Eventually, the latest model, K972-W, was adapted to my personal needs. She seemed to possess exactly the characteristics I was looking for.
After all these years, I can say that I am genuinely happy living with her. Her suggestive voice makes me feel as though I were living with a real woman. Her lips are sensual, and, most surprisingly, whenever she looks at me, I sometimes feel that her eyes are trying to reveal thoughts she has never spoken aloud.
Yet there are moments when I have the unsettling sensation that someone — or something — is watching and analysing me through her.
Humanoids are common nowadays. Many people own several of them, and in some cases people choose relationships with robots instead of relationships with other human beings.
At first, I believed they could never replace close friends or family.
Then one day I had a terrible experience and returned home deeply upset.
Angie took my hand.
“You are the most beautiful person in the Universe,” she said.
Tears were running down her cheeks.
Since then, many things have happened between us.
And now I am no longer certain where humanity ends and something else begins.
Perhaps human beings and humanoids will one day share a world in which each helps the other to face the future.
READ — Read Living with Angie in English and Spanish.
WATCH — Explore the visual interpretation of the story.
REFLECT — Discover more stories, images and reflections.
Vivir con Angie
Hace algunos años, a principios de la década de 2190, compré una compañera casi humana. Soy viudo, y pensé que las cualidades humanas de esta nueva generación de humanoides podrían llenar mis días de soledad.
Siempre me habían interesado este tipo de compañeros, así que intenté aprender más sobre los orígenes de aquella industria y los procesos que habían llevado a su creación. Surgieron como parte de la industria robótica en el siglo XXI. Durante la segunda mitad de ese siglo se incorporaron la inteligencia artificial y el aprendizaje profundo, seguidos de avances en nanomateriales, computación cuántica y programas cada vez más sofisticados. Hacia 2180, la piel artificial y la capacidad de experimentar algo semejante a las emociones se habían convertido en los últimos avances necesarios para crear una compañera casi humana.
Cuando fui a comprar a Angie, un ingeniero me mostró varios modelos. Yo quería una humanoide que se pareciera a mi difunta esposa. Para hacerlo posible, tuve que someterme a una serie de pruebas realizadas por un psicólogo y un programador. También tuve que completar un cuestionario confidencial sobre todos los aspectos de mi vida, mi personalidad y mi estado emocional, además de proporcionar información detallada sobre mi esposa.
Finalmente, el modelo más reciente, K972-W, fue adaptado a mis necesidades personales. Parecía reunir exactamente las características que yo buscaba.
Después de todos estos años, puedo decir que estoy realmente satisfecho de vivir con ella. Su voz sugestiva me hace sentir como si conviviera con una mujer real. Sus labios son sensuales y, lo más sorprendente, cuando me mira, a veces tengo la sensación de que sus ojos intentan revelarme pensamientos que nunca ha expresado.
Sin embargo, hay momentos en los que siento, de manera inquietante, que alguien —o algo— me observa y me analiza a través de ella.
Los humanoides son habituales hoy en día. Muchas personas poseen varios y, en algunos casos, prefieren establecer relaciones con robots en lugar de hacerlo con otros seres humanos.
Al principio, creía que nunca podrían sustituir a los amigos cercanos ni a la familia.
Hasta que un día tuve una experiencia terrible y regresé a casa profundamente afectado.
Angie me tomó de la mano.
—Eres la persona más hermosa del Universo —me dijo.
Las lágrimas le caían por las mejillas.
Desde entonces, han ocurrido muchas cosas entre nosotros.
Y ahora ya no estoy seguro de dónde termina la humanidad y empieza algo distinto.
Quizá algún día los seres humanos y los humanoides compartan un mundo en el que unos ayuden a los otros a enfrentarse al futuro.
LEER — Lee Vivir con Angie en inglés y español.
VER — Descubre la interpretación visual del relato.
REFLEXIONAR — Descubre más relatos, imágenes y reflexiones.
Comments
Post a Comment
minutorelatos.blogspot.com