Sunday, August 30, 2020

The Diary - El diario


The Diary

On my sixteenth birthday someone gifted me a diary. Bright blue pastes and in the center the image of the constellation Orion. When I opened it, a strange dedication surprised me: "So you can control the time." At that moment I interpreted the word "control" in the sense of organizing my time.
I took writing the diary seriously and for a little over two years I was recording on its pages everything that happened to me and what I thought and felt for the people around me. A sad event made me stop writing and the diary was left in the bargueño desk of an old cabinet for many years.
Back from a strange trip to the East, without knowing it, I began to remove all the things from that bargueño desk, and among them the diary, with its bright blue covers. I opened it to the page where I had left a mark and read what I had written many years before: “Today is the most dire day of my life. Due to my recklessness, my friend Sharon has suffered a serious accident ”. I felt again that feeling of guilt that I had forgotten. Tears came to my eyes. I turned to the last page and read: "Sharon is in a wheelchair and she will never recover."
Without knowing why, it occurred to me to delete the content of those pages.
I hardly remember anything about my life since I stopped writing on that diary.
I don't know how I have got to this moment, but now Sharon is my wife and she doesn't remember anything about an accident.
In the diary the last pages I wrote are blank. Now I understand the phrase of the dedication.



El diario

El día de mi decimosexto cumpleaños alguien me regaló un diario. Unas pastas de color azul brillante y en el centro la imagen de la constelación de Orión. Cuando lo abrí, una dedicatoria extraña me sorprendió: “Para que puedas controlar el tiempo”. En aquel instante interpreté la palabra “controlar” en el sentido de organizar mi tiempo.
Me tomé en serio lo de escribir el diario y durante algo más de seis meses estuve plasmando en sus página todo lo que me sucedía y lo que pensaba y sentía por las personas que me rodeaban. Un hecho luctuoso me hizo dejar de escribir y el diario quedó abandonado en el cajón de un viejo bargueño durante unos cuantos años.
De vuelta de un extraño viaje a Oriente, sin saberlo, empecé a sacar todas las cosas de aquel bargueño, y entre ellas el diario, con sus brillantes tapas azules. Lo abrí por el lugar en el que había dejado una marca y leí lo que había escrito muchos años antes: “hoy es el día más nefasto de mi vida. Debido a mi imprudencia, mi amiga Sharon ha sufrido un grave accidente”. Volví a experimentar aquella sensación de culpa que había olvidado. Las lágrimas asomaron a mis ojos. Pasé a la última página  y leí: “Sharon está en una silla de ruedas y no se recuperará nunca”.
Sin saber por qué, se me ocurrió borrar el contenido de aquellas páginas.
Apenas recuerdo nada de mi vida desde que dejé de escribir en el diario. No sé cómo he llegado hasta aquí, pero ahora Sharon es mi mujer y no recuerda nada de ningún accidente.
En el diario las últimas páginas que escribí están en blanco. Ahora comprendo la frase de la dedicatoria.

No comments:

Post a Comment

minutorelatos.blogspot.com