The Whisper of Water
The water was freezing. Thirty degrees below zero. Completely naked, I plunged through the hole I had cut in the ice covering the lake.
The last thing I expected to find beneath that thick sheet of ice was a finely carved wooden chest, suspended from a heavy chain that disappeared into the depths. I assumed it reached the bottom, although the dark water swallowed it long before my eyes could follow it. The chest was no larger than a shoebox, exquisitely carved and hermetically sealed.
I tried to descend, using the chain to pull myself downward, but soon realised I would never reach the end of it. My lungs were burning. I had to return to the surface for air.
When I dived again, both the chest and the chain had vanished.
Puzzled, I descended along the same line where I believed the chest had been.
There it was.
Far below me.
Still descending.
Faster than before.
The chest kept sinking, faster and faster. The chain seemed to be pulling it towards a depth that could not possibly exist in a lake of that size. Then I had the strange impression that it wasn't the chest moving away from me at all. It was the lake itself that kept it forever beyond my reach.
I knew the lake was sacred to the native people who had once lived in that region. One of their legends spoke of a tribal chief whose ashes had been sealed inside a wooden chest and committed to those waters.
The water whispered through my skin.
It urged me to return to the surface.
It pushed me upward.
But the chest kept calling me.
The chest won.
I never returned to the surface.

El susurro del agua
El agua estaba a treinta grados bajo cero.
Completamente desnudo, me zambullí en el agujero que había practicado
previamente en el hielo que se había formado en la superficie del lago. Lo último que esperaba era encontrarme en aquellas aguas, debajo de la espesa capa
de hielo, un cofre de madera suspendido de una cadena que llegaba hasta el fondo, o
eso suponía yo, pues la cadena se perdía en las aguas gélidas cuando intentaba
seguirla con la vista. El cofre era del tamaño de una caja de zapatos, y estaba
lujosamente tallado y herméticamente cerrado. Traté de bajar ayudándome de la
cadena pero pronto descubrí que no podría llegar al otro extremo. Los pulmones empezaban a arder. Tuve que subir a respirar. Ascendí a la superficie, y al entrar de nuevo en aquellas
aguas, no había ni rastro del cofre ni de la cadena. Contrariado, intenté
descender en la vertical en la que suponía que había estado el cofre y…
¡acerté! Abajo, a lo lejos, el cofre seguía descendiendo, cada vez más deprisa. La cadena parecía arrastrarlo hacia un fondo que no podía existir en un lago de aquellas dimensiones. Entonces tuve la extraña impresión de que no era el cofre el que se alejaba de mí. Era el propio lago quien lo mantenía siempre fuera de mi alcance. Yo
sabía que el lago era un lugar sagrado para los indios que habitaban aquella
región. Recordé que una de las historias hablaba de un jefe indio cuyas cenizas
fueron encerradas en un cofre y arrojadas al lago.
El agua me susurraba a través de la piel. Me decía que
saliera a la superficie, me empujaba, pero aquel cofre me seguía llamando. Ganó
el cofre. Y ya no pude volver a la superficie.
Comments
Post a Comment
minutorelatos.blogspot.com